Saturday, June 30, 2007

Taller de los ninos-A Great Possibility in Lima


My cousin Charito put me in contact with "Taller de los ninos" www.tallerdelosninos.org.pe representative, Mrs. Yelena Brujic. brugar@terra.com.pe. Taller de ninos is a Swiss organization that has won awards for their work with the children and adolescents of Peru.

Mrs. Brujic has connections with an art school in Peru,the Leonardo Da Vinci School. She analyzed the reality of our possible arts empowered service learning opportunity and invited us to explore working with her organization. There is an application process and we need to provide a plan of action. We will also need to fundraise the whole year for our supplies and cost of our trip. The more I learned about this organization, the more I feel we need to try it. I hope they will consider us worthy.

My understanding is that we would arrive to Lima and provide our own accomodations and transportation. Mrs. Brujic would become the contact person between her taller de ninos en Canto Grande (children and adolescents) as well as with the progressive Leonardo Da Vinci School, a private school in the area. She felt this to be the safest way to provide an opportunity for Cyclones to be the change they would like to see by empowering needy Peruvian children with their talents, skills, and academic preparation.

My students' job would be very similar to the site visits to Boys and Girls Club. They would have to take an area they would like to develop with the children they would be given, but instead of doing it in three hours, they would have 5 days since we would be working in Lima for a week. The needy schools do not have arts, sports, or English instruction. This could we the beginning of our partnership with the Taller the ninos organization. The art work produced could be auctioned or taken to the USA to provide further revenue for the taller.

I did not have a second meeting with Mrs. Brujic because I became ill (Must remind my students NOT to have ice. I was the only one in my group who had a drink with ice and I was the only one who got sick.) I feel that is a great possibility YAC needs to continue to explore. The reputation as a business woman of my cousin Charito is the best guarantee we could have.

Here is what I found on the web:(They were updating their page)

2006 Asociación Taller de los Niños. Todos los derechos reservados.
Calle María Parado de Bellido 179 - Magdalena del Mar
Teléfono: 461-9389 Tel fax: 461-2195
e-mail: ceitani@terra.com.pe

"Le bon départ" - El buen principio, es la base de trabajo inciado por Taller de los niños en el año 1978.
Se sabe que todo cuanto se puede hacer con y para lo niños y niñas menores de 5 años tendrá un efecto positivo sobre su desarrollo futuro como ciudadanos.

Decidimos trabajar en Canto Grande con el fin de construir con la población, un espacio diferente.

Taller de los Niños, se ha convertido en nuestra manera de decir NO a la injusticia.
Taller de los Niños quiere ser para los niños, las niñas y los adolescentes pobres, un factor de resilencia.

No comments: